Access the Laboratory

Blog Archive

Monday, February 27, 2017

New Monastic Tradition: Way of the War Dance/ New Item: Elvish Longblade

Today we have two new features and an update to another.

First, I took a stab at Battle Dancer from 3.5, and converted it to 5e with some changes here and there. You can find the new Way of the War Dance here!

Next I also decided to release my designs for elven longblades. This isn't an uncommon idea, but it is officially a Mage College release so it feels more... official! Included are a few examples of legendary items that any sword would suffice as, but most of these appear in the Tylvein setting as elven longblades. For those of you paying attention, Valamacil is the sword wielded by Daerthalion Dawntracker, and Inferno is the sword wielded by Arrador Lostwind. Though in their duel in a previous article, they didn't wield these weapons, you may be able to quickly identify how weapons like this enhance characters like those two.

Speaking of Daerthalion and Arrador, I do plan on continuing my work for Duelist and Magus (Duskblade), so watch out for test versions of those in the future! Now that I am using my own formatting style, developing classes and archetypes should go faster.

Finally, I updated the Sands of Time Warlock! I changed the major offender in the Relative Time feature, and tinkered with a couple of the invocations.

Coming later this week:

Lore Master of Disaster? (Article)

How to Dervish! (Archetypes)

Making the Most of Good Rolls (Article)

Any more weapons or items you guys want to see designed? I will continue to pepper my articles with more magic items so watch out for more goodies! Keep studying, Arcanists!

 

11 comments:

  1. I in general enjoy the aesthetic of the dancing monk. I didn't see any balance issues which is always good. Relative time has a really intriguing re balance. At 9th lvl most characters will have 80ft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like everything! Though I don't follow where you're getting 80 ft from. Is that concerning the Warlock or Monk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For warlock, isn't the speed increase tied to the level of the spell slots? So an additional 50 at level 9?

      Delete
    2. Not anymore, I have changed relative time, and you can see that and the other new changes in the link above.

      Delete
    3. May be a problem with your cookies/cache. Everything is updated. I just checked from a computer where I'm not logged in. Relative time should read:

      Relative Time
      Thanks to your patron, you no longer are bound to the same sense of time as other mortals are. You perceive time and the events around you as much slower, providing you with the mental and physical alacrity to make the most of any situation. When you choose this patron at 1st level, you can no longer be surprised and you have advantage on initiative checks.
      Additionally, on the first round of combat, if you are first in initiative order you gain an additional action that turn. This extra action can only be used to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. I'd say so. I just didn't want to say more till I solved the issue on my end.

      Delete
    6. I wish I could say what happened #thanksGoogle

      Delete